Bouyed by my recent success propagating African Violets and growing a avocado plant from an avocado pit, I decided to try propagating a Wandering Jew plant. I wanted to find an easy to grow house plant for my sitting room that would tolerate low light and my slightly ADD ways. I’m not really known for having a green thumb and feel pangs of guilt when I kill a perfectly innocent house plant due to my outright neglect. Lately, I’ve been trying to turn over a new leaf.
My research led me to the Wandering Jew plant and it was love at first sight! The beautiful purple and green tailing foliage drew me in. I picked up this beauty today while on a quest for some Thai Basil for my garden. (I am craving some Thai Basil Jelly cookies and my jelly stash has been depleted since last summer.)
The list of supplies for this project is short: the plant (of course), a pair of scissors, some potting soil, a container to put the cuttings in, and rooting hormone though this is optional.
Just take some cuttings from the mamma and strip off the bottom leaves.
Wet the stem with a bit of water and dip it into the rooting hormone.
If you don’t have any rooting hormone, no worries. Just skip this step and it should work just fine.
Next just poke a hole in the soil and insert the stem.
Repeat the process with all of your cutting, give ‘em a good drink, and call it done!
I put the cuttings in my sun room and will keep the soil most. Easy peasy! Hopefully in just a few weeks I’ll have enough roots to transplant these into some pots for gifts and maybe even replace a few of those dusty old silk plants!
Wandering Jew Propagation Update June 6:
Remarkable! It’s just 9 days after I took the cuttings from my Wandering Jew plant and already they have enough roots to be transplanted! I’ve tried propagating several plants, but this was by far the easiest and fastest plant I’ve ever worked with. The plants were so perky and even growing new leaves when I checked on them today!
I love giving homemade gifts for holidays, birthdays and such. This little experiment turned out so well that I’ll be adding it to my gift giving repertoire. Now if I could only get my Rosemary to propagate as easily…